Thursday, July 23, 2015

Against the Machine... A review.

I have no intentions on sharing my book reviews as a common practice here, but this turned into a rant that I had to share.   Enjoy.  :)

The book was "Against The Machine - How the web is reshaping culture and commerce - And why it matters" by Lee Siegel.


"If you aren't looking for a rant, then here is my quick view... Read this book.


If you want the rant, please continue...

Before you look further at this review, please note that the below comments are not pointed at those of you who run video blogs or book reviews on YouTube... I am looking more at the lack of quality in the majority of what is out there... I will explain...

I have long believed that part of society's problems stem from the way kids are being "dumbed down". This is not to insult all the teenagers who are out there reading and making a difference. I am talking about the ones who mindlessly mill about on YouTube, watching videos of some idiot jumping off of his house and breaking a leg. This is today's entertainment. This is what our children are taking part in. It's a mad marketplace for who can outdo the last person and get the most page hits. (I know a 13 year old who has a steady income from their mash-up videos... I praise the ambition and use of technology, but I really never wanted to see 2-pac and Elvis in a duet.) This is the society we are bringing them in to.

What happened to books??? We are on one the great social sites in history as its focus is the written word. Other sites are secondary to me. I love the written word and crave the experience and knowledge it brings. Now, don't get me wrong, I love Epic Rap Battles and Bad Lip Reading and KEXP's concert series, but do we really need 10 people doing the same thing and then having it repeated by hundreds of others? No...

This is why this book appeals to me. I don't agree with every word, but he makes a great point. We have turned Self-Expression into a profitable business based on how many people "like" you... It's High School all over again. We thrive on ridiculous entertainment and skip all of the great knowledge that exists on the World Wide Web. 

The author attacks the Blogosphere as something that is completely against actual news and is more self indulgent. I disagree. As a blogger, I like being able to write some thoughts out there. If someone reads them and cares, cool. If not, also cool. I am sharing my struggle to write a book with world and if the only person that reads that is me, then it is. 

I see his points though. We really have become socially lazy. We don't go outside or walk around to meet people. We go to dating sites, which we are all happy about when we start talking to someone and then meet them and think, "This isn't who I was talking to." We don't mingle anymore. We base our popularity on how many friends we have online, not in real life. (I have over 800 friends on Facebook. With very few exceptions, these are people I have known in real life first. About 90% are from my time in the Army.) 

We share thoughts with people online and, in some strange way, experiences, but the veil of who I am online versus who I am in reality is up and firmly stuck in place. 

I think what I take away from this book more than anything is that we, as a society, suck at being ourselves and meeting people. Would it kill us to go out into the scary world and meet some people? No. Would it hurt us to abandon our YouTube channels. Maybe... (If that is your primary income then keep Vlogging.) 

Mr. Siegel and I see face to face on one main thing: We need to get out and experience life again.

This is an excellent, thought provoking read. Worth the time..."

No comments:

Post a Comment