Monday, July 13, 2015

New fire, a bus ride and the future...

So, I have been toying around with the advice given to me by author Brain Herbert.  When I asked him some weeks ago, "How do I stop myself from writing and then hating what I wrote halfway through?", he responded, "Start with short stories and build it from there."   This is pure genius.

So with that, I have been panning through my old notes for my massive Post-Apocalyptic 3-4 book novel that I had started 3-4 years ago.  Now, I am looking at it with renewed vigor.  The places I can go with the multitude of short stories is staggering.   Let's see how this goes...

On the bus today, two people who link up on the bus every few days or so, met again today.  Both are around 18 and male.  One is a "MMA" fighter in training and the other just wrecked his 10 speed.  The conversation, which I tried desperately to ignore, was something like this...

"Bro, it was a gnarly hill."
"Yeah, I bet.  That place is hella sketchy."
"Yeah, I so wiped it at the bottom.  I was covered in blood."
"You could've died bro...  Heh, heh."
"Heh, heh...  Yeah..."

The MMA guy then went on to advise the other with a tale of why not to drop acid and then drive 10 miles.  

Needless to say, the collective IQ of the remaining passengers had dropped at least 60 points prior to the MMA guy leaving.   If these teenagers are our future, then we are screwed...

The future is perking up some.  Or at least it will be shortly.  Things are happening that I will speak of later, with one exception.  I am enrolling in school again so that I can get my BA in English finally.  Yay...  Go Me.   ;)

Finished Poetics by Aristotle and Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke this morning.  I was then sad because that was the only two books I had brought to work.  Nothing for my break or the ride home...  :(

Anyway...   Goodnight peoples.

Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment