Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Thank you Stephen King!

I just wanted to share the review I put on Goodreads of Stephen King's On Writing....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Is there an expression that suits this better than, "WoW!"

I have read quite a few books on writing. Most are boring. Some are more like textbooks. Some promise instant riches. Very few make me want to write more or generally help me break through issues. I know of three such books that have done this for me. One is Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird which made me feel as though anyone with the right mindset and the willingness to put in the work, could be a good writer. The second is Ray Bradbury's Zen in the Art of Writing, which inspired me to explore unknown worlds and challenged me to write even more. Third... Well, then cam Mr. King...

Stephen King has always been somebody I admired. Whether for his writing or for the movie adaptations of his writing or his brief cameos in all of those movies, Mr. King is an inspiration. He comes from humble roots, has struggled to make ends meet and never forgets where he came from. He wrote one of my all time favorite novels, The Stand, and two of my all time favorite movies are based on his work, Misery and The Shining. (I know Mr. King was actually not a fan of the Jack Nicholson adaptation of The Shining, but damn was Nicholson awesome...) And let's not forget Shawshank!!! The man is a legend, so when he speaks about writing, you listen...

This book is a complete reversal of every other writing book out there. There is no cheering section and writing exercises. (Well, maybe two exercises...) This is a no bullshit, welcome to my life, story telling workshop with the Grand Master himself. He doesn't try to sell you on anything, he just puts it how he sees it. Whether you agree with him or not, he tells it how he feels it. 

No matter what, there are two rules:
1 - Read a lot. (41 so far this year. He suggests around 80 a year...)
2 - Write a lot. (Need to work on this myself...)

I personally see this as a must have for anyone wanting to write for a living. It is full of great advice and resources for new writers. Part story of the man, all story! Great, amazing, fantastic book!"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So yes...  I loved it...

More notes made for Epic story....  Little by little.

Ok, off to bed with me.   (Hahaha...  Like I can sleep!)

Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment